Meridian’s construction practice is heavily focused to the insurance industry. We have specific experience in dealing with complicated personal injury and property damage claims which involve detailed analysis of contractual arrangements and quantum assessments. We practise regularly on behalf of large national and international insurance and self-insured building firms in both arbitration, litigation and other dispute resolving forums.
Our strength lies in our ability to navigate the various dispute forums and deliver a commercial outcome for our clients.
- Advising insurers on construction material damage and contract works insurance policies
- Construction claims under property and liability covers including project specific policies
- Defending personal injury claims on behalf of principals, contractors and subcontractors which often involve both common law claims by workers and associated statutory recoveries (in all states of Australia) but with differing legislative frameworks
- Property damage claims, involving the spread of fire and pollution involving analysis of responsibilities between contractors on site
- Unfair dismissal claims, general protections disputes, bullying and discrimination claims
- Employee misconduct and performance management advice
- Employment contracts and workplace policies
- Preparation of enterprise agreements
- Defending a sheet-piling contractor for an inner-city residential tower resulting in significant damage to adjoining buildings requiring demolition and rebuild.
- Acting in numerous common law/VWA claims in Victoria on behalf of principal builders with numerous subcontractors also involved in the litigation and involving complex contractual agreements.
- Extensive experience acting in liability claims from incidents on construction sites.
- Conducting an investigation into the alleged misconduct of a senior executive in the construction industry.
- Advising professionals and their insurers in the construction industry with regard to professional indemnity claims against engineers, architects involved in building works.
- Advising a normal road and facilities employer in regulation negotiation for and preparation of an enterprise agreement
- Advised an employer in relation to workplace-related matters following obtaining a contract for construction work from the state government