Principal Nevena Brown is participating in LawSense’s 2022 School Law series, ‘Best Practice Note-Taking, Record Keeping & Privacy in Schools‘, and will be presenting the following topic:
Objecting to Subpoenas and Dealing with Information Sharing Requests: Understanding Rights, Obligations and Options
Objecting to Subpoenas
- Examining key considerations in deciding to object to production of subpoenaed documents
- Dealing with the subpoenaing party lawyers to reduce the scope of documents caught by the subpoena
- Understanding options to legally object to a subpoena:
- objecting on the basis of privilege
- when can you object to what appears to be a ‘fishing expedition’?
- seeking for parts of documents to be blacked out/redacted
- seeking that access only be limited to the lawyers of the parties
- What should be contained in your communication regarding your objection?
- Obtaining payment for time spent and photocopying to deal with a subpoena
Information Sharing Requests
- Outlining key elements of legislation allowing information sharing between schools or with other organisations
- Understanding what and when information should not be shared
Nevena’s presentation is at 11:45am on Tuesday 15 March 2022. For more information click here.