Student Self-Harm, Suicide Attempts and Return to School: Understanding the Extent of Your Duties
Principal Nevena Brown and Principal Kellie Dell’Oro will be presenting at the LawSense conferences ‘Law for School Counsellors 2019.’ Nevena will be presenting on 13 March in Brisbane and 20 March in Sydney and Kellie will be presenting in Melbourne on 27 March.
This topic of this discussion is ‘Student Self-Harm, Suicide Attempts and Return to School: Understanding the Extent of Your Duties.’ This presentation will focus on self-harm and suicide, covering:
- key steps to discharge legal obligations to students;
- the duty of care and other legal duties to other students;
- approaches for preventing or dealing with social media impacts after self-harm or suicide attempts;
- information sharing within the school and with outside agencies;
- working with parents and mental health professionals; and
- managing circumstances where a student self-harms or makes a suicide attempt after visiting the school counsellor.