Principal Nevena Brown is participating in LawSense’s 2021 School Law series, ‘Law for School Nurses’, and will be presenting the following topic:
Confidentiality, Privacy and Sharing Information: Understanding Your Obligations and Exceptions
The webinar will cover:
Reviewing Key Laws Affecting Confidentiality, Privacy and Sharing Information
- Outlining current laws relevant to privacy, confidentiality and information sharing and how these interact
- Examining how employment and professional registration duties affect privacy and confidentiality obligations towards the student
- Examining exceptions where consent may not be required before disclosure:
- legislation allowing disclosure where there are “reasonable grounds to suspect that a child or young person is at risk of significant harm”
- legislation allowing sharing of information with other schools or organisations
- discussing with or seeking advice from other professionals inside and outside the school
Learning from Case Studies and Scenarios
- Navigating disclosure:
- to the school principal, teacher, school counsellor or leadership – what are your rights and obligations?
- to parents, including information about sexual relationships or drug taking
Nevena’s presentation is at 2:05pm on Friday 22nd October 2021. For more information click here.