Lachlan has over 10 years’ experience working on behalf of local and international insurers and their clients in litigated and unlitigated claims. His main practice areas are acting in public liability, professional indemnity (including disciplinary investigations), product liability and property (including construction and environmental) damage claims.
He is particularly experienced in managing complicated litigation, including catastrophic injury claims. Lachlan has also advised government departments, including local councils, and their insurers on public liability claims as well as claims relating to development approvals and nuisance.
Lachlan regularly appears in the Supreme Court of NSW and District Court of NSW. He has acted for the successful party in a number of important cases including:
- Bettergrow Pty Limited v TransGrid (No 2)  NSWSC 514 (environmental/construction);
- Richtoll Pty Ltd v WW Lawyers (in Liquidation) Pty Ltd  NSWSC 438 (solicitor negligence);
- Buckworth v Gladio Pty Ltd  NSWCA 54 (contract and corporations law);
- Registrar-General of New South Wales v LawCover Insurance Pty Ltd  NSWCA 241 (claim for indemnity);
- JJES Pty Ltd v Sayan  NSWSC 541 (solicitor negligence);
- JJES Pty Ltd v Sayan (No 2)  NSWSC 975 (costs orders obtained against director of plaintiff company);
- Rail Corporation NSW v King  NSWCA 207 (public liability – catastrophic injury);
- Streller v Albury City Council  NSWCA 348 (public liability – catastrophic injury);
- Mark Bartley v Rail Corporation NSW  NSWDC (public liability); and
- Anthony Quinn v Toll Ipec Pty Limited & Ors, Anthony Quinn v Toll Pty Limited  NSWDC 71 (public liability/CTP/workers compensation).
He has participated in many mediations and informal settlement conferences and is an experienced and skilful negotiator.
Lachlan is a member of the Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA), the Law Society of NSW, the Young Insurance Professionals (YIPS) Australia and the NSW Claims Discussion Group. He is the author of several published articles – including in the Australian Civil Liability journal.