Joseph holds a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Arts, as well as a Graduate Diploma in Education (Secondary) and a Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Skills and Ethics.
Since being admitted to practice in 2006, Joseph has worked exclusively in the field of insurance law – with experience conducting matters across all of Australia’s states and territories.
Prior to joining Meridian Lawyers in September 2012, Joseph gained valuable experience at both mid-tier and boutique firms, representing a number of Australia’s larger insurers and self-insurers.
Joseph’s experience has a specific focus on property and public liability claims (including construction and infrastructure type risk), employer/contractor liability, occupier’s liability claims, indemnity disputes, fraud claims, motor vehicle claims, whilst also having significant experience generally in handling volume claims. This includes:
- Common law claims brought by injured workers (and the related s.138 VWA recovery claims) against owners or occupiers of work sites, shops, bars, hotels and farms, the suppliers of items that led to the workplace incident, and tradesmen involved with defective works;
- Numerous personal injury and property claims in relation to construction and infrastructure type risk that required advice on contractual indemnities and the application of same to insurance policies (where principals and multiple sub-contractors are parties);
- Proportionate liability property damage claims;
- Advising insurers on indemnity issues relating to substantial plumbing claims; and
- Acting for insurers to investigate fraudulent fire, vehicle and theft claims lodged by parties.
Joseph is a member of the Law Institute of Victoria.
Joseph is recognised in the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in Australia for his expertise in Personal Injury Litigation.